"Daughter, oh, daughter," said the king,
女儿 亲爱的女儿 国王说
"Why're you so pale and wan?
为何你脸色如此苍白黯淡
I fear you have some sore sickness,
我担心你生病了
Or else you have laid with a man."
还是你有了心上人
"You're welcome, you're welcome, my father dear,
欢迎回来 亲爱的父亲
You are welcome home to me.
你终于回到了我的身旁
For I have sick unto my heart
我得了心病
Since you've been so long on the sea."
自从你久驻海上以后
"Cast off, cast off your berry-brown gown;
褪去你浆果色的长袍
Stand naked upon the stone,
赤裸地站在石头上
That I might know you by your shape
这样我可以知道你的身体
Whether you be a maiden or no."
是否仍是处子之身
So she's cast off her berry-brown gown;
因此她脱去浆果色的长袍
She's stood naked upon the stone.
赤身裸体站在石头上
Her apron was low and her middle was round,
她的围裙很低 腹部隆起
Her face was pale and wan.
她的脸色苍白黯淡
"Oh, was it with a lord or a duke or a knight?
是君王 公爵 或骑士
Or a man of birth and fame?
或是一位名门望族
Or was it with one of my serving men
还是那个侍从
That's lately come out of Spain?"
我从西班牙带回的
"No, it wasn't with a lord nor a duke nor a knight,
不是君王 公爵 也不是骑士
Nor a man of birth and fame.
更不是什么名门之后
But it was with Willie O'Winsbury;
他是Willie O'Winsbury
I could bide no longer alone."
我将不再孤单等待
The king, he has sent for his merry men all
国王叫来随从
By thirty and by three,
从3岁到30岁
Saying, "Fetch me this Willie O'Winsbury,
下令 给我抓住Willie O'Winsbury
For hanged he shall be."
我要绞死他
But when he was brought before the king,
但当他被带到国王面前时
He was clad all in red silk.
身着红色丝绸
His hair was like the strands of gold,
发如耀眼金线
His skin was white as milk.
肤色洁净白皙
"It is no wonder," said the king,
难怪 国王说
"How my daughter's love you did win,
你能赢得我女儿的爱慕
For if I was a woman as I am a man,
如果我是个女人
My bedfellow you would have been.
也愿与你共眠
"Will you marry my daughter Janet
如果你愿意娶我的女儿珍妮特
By the truth of your right hand?
就举起你的右手起誓
And if you'll marry my daughter Janet,
如果你娶了我的女儿
I will make you the lord of my lands."
我就将王位传给你
"Yes, I will marry your daughter Janet
是的 我愿意
By the truth of my right hand,
随之举起我的右手起誓
But I'll not have your gold and I'll not have your gear,
但我不要您的金钱与权势
And I'll not be the lord of your land.
更不要接替您的王位
"For I have houses and I have land,
我有属于自己的庄园
I have men at my command.
也有自己的随从
And were it not for your daughter fair,
如果不是为了对您的女儿公平
I would not be your servant man."
我不会做您的侍卫
He sat her upon a milk white steed
他扶她坐上白色骏马
And himself on a dapple gray;
他自己坐上灰斑骏马
He has made her the lady of as much land
他让她像有广阔土地的女主人一样
As she can ride in a long summer's day.
驰骋一整个夏天